Sunday, July 4, 2010
How to de-stress? Its time to de - stress!
1. Find a hobby - This will allow you to learn and apply your skills in a relaxed way. Be creative and express yourself! Take classes to increase your knowledge in whatever interests you, eg cooking, writing, sewing etc. This will increase your enjoyment of life and reduce your feelings of stress.
2. Have a routine - Have a peaceful start to the day. The morning is great for some light exercise, or quite reading. Set the tone for the day with time for yourself. Make the beginning and end of your day relaxing. ( no loud music or strenuous work)
3. Plug into a support network - I love the internet and am so glad that we have it available to us these days.
There are many forums that you can join and be part of the community. Wellbeing and happiness come from good relationships so make the time to develop them with friends ( online or real )
4. Be positive - Many people conduct a constant mental commentary on themselves and their actions. This needs to be positive and acknowledge what you have done. ie if you cooked a meal, tell yourself how great you are at cooking such a great dish.
5. Eat well and do some exercise - We all know that this is a must for all of us. A balanced healthy diet is always good for your body. Be sure to include fruit, vegetables, cereals, lots of water, and some meat.
Moderate, regular physical exercise such as walking, swimming, bike riding of 20mins three times a week is ideal. Any exercise at all is good for the body. Exercise triggers the release of a brain chemical called serotonin, which boosts your mood, and reduces feelings of stress or anxiety. You can buy exercise dvds and do them at home.
Whenever you are feeling stressed, take the time to breathe. Slowly breathe in through your nose. Feel the air moving in through your nose and down into the bottom your abdomen. Hold briefly and then exhale your breath and feel your stomach muscles squeeze all the air out. Deep breathing exercises are a simple and effective way to reduce stress and relax your mind and body.
So the next time you are stressed try some of these tips and remember that things will work out in the end!
What do you do to de-stress?