Saturday, October 23, 2010
Strawberries - my favourite summer fruit! Whats yours?
1. Available all year round, but peak from November to February
2. On average there are 200 seeds on the outside of a strawberry (amazing!)
3. An excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin B (folate)
4. 100g has 90kJ - which is a healthy snack, and good for those who are watching their weight.
5. Strawberries are not a berry, rather a member of the rose family and the real fruits are the yellow seeds
6. Strawberries as part of a healthy diet, may help decrease blood pressure, and may reduce the risk of heart disease.
7. Strawberries contain Phytochemicals known to act as antioxidants
8. There are a few hundred different varieties of strawberries
9. Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in spring.
10. They are great to share, and served with a lot of foods.
You can use strawberries in fruit salads, fruit punch, cheese and fruit platters, sorbets, ice creams, tarts, cakes, sauces, crepes, waffles or served over breakfast cereal. But I love them best dipped in chocolate!
What is your favourite fruit?